The Miracle Monastery was built in the Kremlin in 1365. The history of its creation is truly wonderful.
Khan of the Golden Horde Janibek suffered from eye disease, his beloved wife Taidula. Having finally lost her sight, she asked her husband to invite Moscow Metropolitan Alexy to her, who was known as a miracle worker and was endowed with the gift of healing.
Preparing for a long journey, Saint Alexy served in the Assumption Cathedral a moleben before the grave of Saint Peter. During this service, according to tradition, a candle was miraculously lit up, which served as a good omen. The Metropolitan divided the candle into parts, distributed it to his companions, and the delegation set off on August 18, 1358.
Taidula was looking forward to the Metropolitan. One night she had a dream in which Alexy appeared to her in a sparkling ceremonial attire. In the morning, Tidula ordered her craftswomen to sew the same clothes that she had dreamed of in her dream.
About a month after leaving Moscow, Metropolitan Alexy arrived in the Horde with his retinue. The saint lit a wonderful candle, sprinkled holy water on Taidula and recited a prayer. And - lo and behold! - the patient regained her sight. It happened on September 19 - on the feast of the Miracle of the Archangel Michael in Khoneh. (In ancient Phrygia, the pagans wanted to flood a Christian temple, uniting two mountain rivers into one channel, but at that moment the Archangel Michael himself appeared and with a blow of a rod punched a wide hole in the mountain into which a stream of water rushed. A miracle happened - the temple survived).
The joy of the spouses was immeasurable. As a token of gratitude, Taidula presented Metropolitan Alexy with a label, according to which the Russian church praying for the khans is exempt from all tributes from the secular authorities, as well as the territory in the Kremlin, where the Khan's court was located, where tribute from all over Russia was taken.
At this place, on Ivanovskaya (Tsarskaya) Square, opposite the bell tower of Ivan the Great, at the behest of Metropolitan Alexy, a monastery was erected. Its main temple was consecrated in honor of the feast of the Miracle of the Archangel Michael in Khonekh (on the day of the healing of Taidula), and the monastery began to be called Miracles.
The khan's court moved to Zamoskvorechye, and the monastery, thanks to the care of the metropolitan, received precious utensils, fish pools and villages in its possession.
One of these villages was Cherkizovo, which the saint bought from his servant, the Tatar, Ilya Ozakov. The area near the Crimean ford also became the possession of the Chudov Monastery. It started from Krymskaya Square and continued to the Khamovniki barracks. Already in our century, in 1909, the monastery built a tenement house on its courtyard (Komsomolsky Prospect, no. 3, architect IP Mashkov), which has survived. And to this day in this area there is a street reminiscent of the Chudov Monastery - Bolshoi Chudov Lane.
During the war of 1812, the Chudov monastery was occupied by the French. The headquarters of the Napoleonic army was located here. The relics of Saint Alexis were thrown away (later the shrine was returned to its place), the bedroom of Marshal Davout was arranged in the altar. And when Napoleon was about to flee Moscow, he gave the order to blow up the Kremlin. Such powerful projectiles of gunpowder were planted that nothing would have remained of the Chudov Monastery and the entire Kremlin, but when the French set fire to the wicks, a miracle happened: it started raining, extinguishing the fire. And the monastery was not badly damaged. After the terrible Moscow fire of Miracles, the monastery was restored in 1814.
In 1917, the monastery was shelled by shells and badly damaged, although the monks still continued to live in it, and in 1919 the temple was closed. At first, a cooperative "Communist" was placed here and a reading room was set up. Later, it was transferred to the Kremlin's Medical and Sanitary Administration, which was responsible for the health of members of the Soviet government.
Building No. 14
In December 1929, the Miracle Monastery was completely destroyed. An administrative building (building No. 14) was erected in its place, in which the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR was located. The relics of Saint Alexis were transferred to the Yelokhovsky Cathedral.
In April 2016, at the suggestion of Russian President Vladimir Putin, office building 14 was dismantled. In its place, a large park was laid out (1.5 hectares in size), but - surprisingly - the lawns were made along the contour of the demolished monasteries (Voznesensky and Chudov).
A place for adjustment was freed up, and, perhaps, the Chudov Monastery will someday be restored.