There are four stations on the square. Everyone knows Leningradsky, Yaroslavsky and Kazansky, as well as another station, not so noticeable - Imperial. This small station was officially called the "Imperial Railway Pavilion". It was built in 1896 specifically for the meeting of Emperor Nicholas II, who was supposed to come to Moscow for the coronation.
The Tsar's train from St. Petersburg was going to be met at the Kalanchevskaya station, which was located next to the Nikolaevsky railway station, and it was decided to build a magnificent station there.
It was assumed that it was this Imperial Station that in the future would carry out the dispatch of government and other special trains.
The construction of the royal pavilion was entrusted to Henrikh Voinevich, the architect of the Nikolaev railway. The station was built of red brick and decorated with tarutino stone. The dome was covered with zinc and a tower with a spire was erected.
The interior of the station was magnificent. Inside, the pavilion was decorated with mirrors and candelabra, the walls were covered with damask and upholstered furniture for the royal family and carved oak benches with high backs and monograms for the rest of the public were made. They survived until the Soviet era, and while passengers were allowed into the pavilion, people could use them.
On the side of the tracks, a special wide platform was arranged, on which a parade military command in 12 rows, as well as an orchestra, could be accommodated. The platform was covered with a light canopy with fine carvings. Near the new station, a square and a public garden were laid out, which surrounds the building to this day.
But for a number of reasons, Nicholas II did not come to this station for the coronation. The organizers did not take into account the fact that the procession was to follow further along Kalanchevskaya, and then along Myasnitskaya Street. These narrow streets could not accommodate the horse carriages accompanying the emperor. In addition, silver rubles were brought to Moscow for the coronation for distribution to the people, and such distribution in the narrow streets could lead to a crush.
Therefore, the imperial train arrived at the Brest (now Belorussky) station.
True, two months later, on the way from the Nizhny Novgorod exhibition, the tsar still stopped to rest in the imperial pavilion. The second time he came to this station was in 1912, when he arrived in Moscow to unveil a monument to his father, Alexander III, near the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. On that day, the Kalanchevskaya platform was lined with carpets, white and red cloth; on flower beds, the royal monograms and the coat of arms of Russia were made up.
All the years before the revolution, the pavilion was carefully guarded and maintained in an appropriate condition.
After the revolution in this building for some time there was a district council of railway workers, then the first city-wide conference of the Union of Working Youth "III International" was held here, in honor of which memorial plaques were placed on the building. And then the former royal pavilion became just a suburban train station. There are cash desks there now.