Nevsky Prospekt is one of the oldest and most famous streets in St. Petersburg. Its length is about four and a half kilometers; it crosses the Moika, Fontanka and Griboyedov Canal. Almost throughout its entire length there are no modern buildings, and each ancient building contains a huge number of unique stories. Nevsky Prospekt is very popular with both local residents and guests of the Northern capital.
11 interesting facts about Nevsky Prospect
- Nevsky Prospect is only a few years younger than St. Petersburg itself, its first section, from Moika to Fontanka, was laid in 1710-1715, later work continued and the avenue stretched to the Admiralty. At present, the greatest width of the avenue, 60 meters, is at Gostiny Dvor, and its narrowest part is at the Moika River - 25 meters.
- The need for the construction of the avenue arose soon after the founding of St. Petersburg. It was necessary to connect the center of the new city with the Novgorod road, which ran from St. Petersburg to the central part of Russia. The Novgorodskaya road itself passed, presumably, along the modern Ligovsky Avenue. From the Admiralty to it there was a path through the dam along the Fontanka. But, Peter the Great issued a decree - "to kill that river".
- According to meteorologists, the average temperature on Nevsky Prospekt is much higher than the average temperature in the city. In summer, this difference is less noticeable and is only 2-3 degrees. But in winter it is warmer on Nevsky by as much as 10-12 degrees. This is probably due to the fact that life is in full swing here. About two million people visit Nevsky Prospekt every day.
- It is interesting that the name of the avenue has changed several times. Over the years it was called: Nevskaya prospect, Bolshoi Nevsky prospect and Prospect 25 October. It is interesting that the Neva Prospekt, contrary to its name, does not cross. And he owes his name to the Alexander Nevsky Monastery, which was founded by order of Peter the Great in 1710. Since 1797, this monastery has had the status of a lavra, as a sign of special historical and spiritual significance.
- If you carefully examine Nevsky Prospekt from a bird's eye view, you will notice that it is not absolutely straight. The curvature is due to the fact that the avenue began to be laid from two sides at once, and the actions of the builders were not coordinated. But, this absolutely does not prevent Nevsky Prospekt from being one of the most beautiful places in St. Petersburg.
- The main thoroughfare of St. Petersburg was renamed Nevsky Prospekt almost immediately after the revolution, in 1918. This name existed for just over a quarter of a century. And from January 1944, the avenue again became Nevsky. During the Great Patriotic War, the avenue was badly damaged by bombing, already in 1945, work began to restore one of the main attractions of the city.
- On January 15, 1930, at the intersection of 25 October Avenue with Volodarsky Avenue (now Liteiny Avenue), the first traffic light in the Soviet Union was installed. And on October 21, 1936, the first trolleybus in Leningrad passed along the avenue. At present, St. Petersburg has the longest overhead trolleybus line in Russia. Every year the trolleybuses of St. Petersburg carry up to 500, 000, 000 passengers, which is approximately three times more than the population in the whole of Russia.
- St. Petersburg played a huge role in the work of Nikolai Vasilyevich Gogol. In the thirties and forties of the nineteenth century, the writer created here a whole cycle of "Petersburg stories", one of which was called "Nevsky Prospect". The story begins with a loud phrase: "There is nothing better than Nevsky Prospect." But, as the author further shows, not everything is so rosy here, in another part of the work Gogol already warns the reader: "Oh, do not believe this Nevsky Prospect!"
- On Nevsky Prospect, since the 18th century, the oldest hotel in the city, Demut, was located, where the great Russian poet Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin has repeatedly stayed. It was here, in 1828, that he wrote his poem "Poltava". The poet appreciated Demut's institution for the fact that he could retire in the room and work calmly.
- And on the corner of Nevsky Prospekt and the Moyka River embankment there was the famous Wolf and Beranger confectionery in the city. Pushkin turned here, going to a duel with Dantes to drink a glass of his favorite drink - lemonade. It was lemonade that Pushkin preferred, he was ready to drink it at any time of the day, especially while working on his works.
- Unofficially, the right (odd) side of Nevsky Prospekt is called "shadow", and its opposite, even side is called "sunny". It is the even side that is very popular among lovers of strolling along the main street of St. Petersburg.