Africa is the hottest continent in the world and it is here that the largest reserves of diamonds and gold are located, as well as countries with a very low standard of living.
17 Fun Facts About Africa:
- Do you know an interesting fact that Four-fifths of Africa, the second largest continent in the world, is made up of desert and fields. Less than one-fifth is forest, and due to population growth, it is decreasing every day.
- On the northern edge of Africa, the vast Sahara Desert, the largest desert in the world, covers about two-fifths of the continent.
- Africa is home to Egypt, one of the most ancient civilizations in the world, estimated to be around 5, 000 years old.
- Africa is 16 million square kilometers, or 17.9 percent of the earth's surface. Africa is home to 600 million people.
- Africa is home to the smallest and tallest nations in the world.
- Africa is now one of the most troubled areas in the world, facing poverty, disease, war and environmental disasters. Much of tribal violence throughout Africa was caused by colonial governments carving up the continent, often ignoring ethnic boundaries.
- Only three countries in the world are larger than the Sahara Desert Russia, Canada and China.
- The smallest African country is the Seychelles, covering an area of 453 sq. km.
- At least 25 million people in Africa are HIV positive.
- Africa is the oldest inhabited area on Earth.
- More than 1, 000 different languages are spoken in Africa.
- Africa is rich in minerals such as copper, silver, nickel and diamonds. Since 1970 South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Botswana have been the largest producers of diamonds.
- In Sierra Leone alone, 2, 000 out of 100, 000 women die during childbirth due to poor health care.
- More than 25 million people in Africa are believed to be HIV positive.
- Africa produces half of all the gold sold in the world.
- There are about 3000 ethnic groups in Africa.
- The Nile, the second longest river in the world, is located in Africa. Its length is 6850 kilometers.