The Shroud of Turin is located in the Italian city of Turin in the Cathedral of John the Baptist. it is a linen cloth 437 centimeters long and 111 centimeters wide, which contains two negative misprints of the human body with traces of mutilations - front and back.
Believers believe that it was in this canvas that the Savior, taken from the cross, was wrapped, whose body was imprinted on the fabric in a supernatural way, but what is interesting is that the official church is silent on this matter.
The relic was first recorded in France in 1353: Geffroy de Charny announced that he had the shroud. At first, the Shroud was exhibited in the city of Lyre in the possession of de Charny. In 1452 it was bought by Louis I of Savoy and kept in the city of Chambery, where it suffered in a fire in 1532. After the transfer of the capital to Turin in 1578, the shroud is kept in a special ark in the Cathedral of John the Baptist in Turin.
In 1898, when the shroud was on display, amateur photographer Secondo Pia took pictures and discovered a human face on the negatives. This discovery raised a number of questions, the main of which were the question of the authenticity of the shroud and the personality of the person depicted on it. However, it was possible to carry out serious research using modern methods only at the end of the 20th century.
Some researchers, on the basis of radiocarbon analysis data obtained in 1988, claim that the shroud was made in the Middle Ages (XIV century), and now scientists are trying to reconstruct the method of creating an image on the shroud.
The Shroud of Turin is rarely opened for viewing by pilgrims. The last time this was done was from April 10 to May 23, 2010. During the 2006 Winter Olympics, held in Turin, a virtual image of the Shroud was exhibited using computer graphics in the underground part of the Turin Cathedral, as well as an exposition dedicated to its history.