20 things I should have known at 20 years of age translation of an English article.
1. The world is trying to keep you dumb. From bank payments and interest to miracle diets, it’s easier to shake money out of uneducated people and easier to manage. Educate yourself as much as you can - in order to be rich, independent and happy.
2. Don't blindly believe in educational institutions. While they prepare curricula, the system becomes outdated and sometimes breaks. It is better to learn and earn people's respect through leadership and doing, not by following.
3. Read as much as you can. Master the technique of fast reading with a high level of retention. Emerson Spartz taught me this at the Summit Series. And if he reads 2-3 books a week, you may well read one.
4. Try to constantly communicate with everyone. Become a master of communication. Learn to find in a person what you like about him, and then turn to that side of him.
5. Don't waste time with modesty. Modesty is the belief that your emotions can be the judges of your decision-making process when the exact opposite is true.
6. If something unpleasantly surprises you during a relationship with someone, most likely it is from this that you will be freed by breaking them.
7. Try to communicate as often as possible with people who are older than you. Personally, I meet people at Podcamps. My friend Greg, at the age of 13, met his first employer in the seat next to the plane. The value of communicating with elders is that the decision-making system of your peers will not help you much. And the elders also know everything that you will learn later - therefore it is worth asking them.
8. Look for people who are cooler than you [what interests you] and spend time with them. This is important in itself, but the consequence is also important - do not try to be average in your group, try to be the best (do interesting things, be ambitious, responsive, receptive, etc.).
9. Over time, you will become more and more conservative. It's just a fact. Those around you will create a kind of bubble that will maintain the "status quo" (the current state of affairs). That is why the craziest ideas need to be implemented NOW. Then you will become too fearful. Believe me.
10. Reduce costs as much as possible. This will allow you to create a reserve for the implementation of the very crazy idea that I mentioned above.
11. Instead of obtaining a status with the help of objects (which gives only a temporary increase), increase it with experience. In other words, a trip to Paris is a better choice than a new wardrobe. Research shows that making these choices increases the level of satisfaction you get from life.
12. If you live in need, solve the money problem. Use the internet as it can help you buy something cheap at auctions. If you are now living paycheck to paycheck, extend that period by three weeks instead of two. Then, when things get better, you can plan for a month, then three, six, and finally a year in advance. The goal is to reach the point where you plan 5 years ahead.
13. Learn to Program: http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0
14. Don't gain weight when you are young. Your hormones will help you with that at first, but don't waste this opportunity, trust me.
15. Learn to cook. This will greatly simplify your life, food will cease to be an everyday matter, it will turn from an expensive necessity into a pleasant activity, and it will also save your money. I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan, but if you like someone else, great.
16. Get a good night's sleep. Sleep and self-cooking can help you keep your weight down. If you think “I will sleep in the grave” or “I still have a lot to do, there is no time for sleep, ” then I will tell you this - “if you do not get enough sleep, you are NOT EFFECTIVE”, reducing your sleep time will not help you.
17. Get yourself a notebook application. Don't trust the memory built into your brain. Do not bring the situation to the point of doing what “you think” should be done. Trust the records only, I use RE.minder and Action Method.
18. Set yourself a big goal and let the chance help you. If you do not designate it, then, of course, something will happen, but if you put it, then much more will happen.
19. Become an expert at one thing. Spend 5 years doing business, not wobbling around the bush. If you want to change your profession then - go ahead. As I said, pick something.
20. Don't try to fix people. Better find those who are not spoiled yet.