33 amazing facts about the human brain that will help you understand at least a little the essence of the processes that are constantly happening in your head.
1. New neural connections in the brain are formed every time you remember something.
2. Upon awakening, the brain generates energy, which would be enough to operate a small light bulb.
3. Lack of oxygen in the brain for 5 minutes leads to its irreversible damage.
4. Your brain continues to develop until the age of 50.
5. Alcohol does not affect forgetfulness - just when a person gets drunk to hell, the brain temporarily loses the ability to remember.
6. A person has more nerve cells at birth than in the rest of his life.
7. Only the left or only the right hemisphere of the brain cannot work. It is a myth. They always work together.
8. Sphenopalative ganglioneuralgia is the scientific term for brain freeze.
9. The human brain has the same consistency as tofu cheese.
10. It is scientifically proven that even a weak sense of power changes the way the human brain works and reduces its ability to empathize.
11. Violence in the family has the same effect on the brain of a child as war does on the brain of a soldier.
12. The smell of chocolate activates the production of theta rhythm, which causes relaxation.
13. The pathologist who performed the autopsy of Albert Einstein stole his brain and kept it in formalin solution for about 20 years.
14. A sense of confidence can be generated without the need for rational explanation, but simply by stimulating a specific part of the brain.
15. Long conversations on a mobile phone significantly increase the risk of a brain tumor.
16. A child's brain can use up to 50% of all glucose in the body, which explains why children need so much sleep.
17. The brain uses 20% of the total oxygen and blood in the body.
18. When you learn something new, the structure of the brain changes.
19. In connection with the discovery of many brain parasites, scientists have ceased to deny the possibility of a "zombie apocalypse".
20. Lack of sleep significantly affects the functioning of the brain, leads to a deterioration in judgment and a slowdown in reaction.
21. Half of the brain can be surgically removed with no visible effect on personality or memory.
22. According to scientists, the brain perceives rejection as physical pain.
23. The brain only needs 6 minutes to react to alcohol.
24. In 2015, the fourth most powerful supercomputer took 40 minutes to simulate one second of human brain activity.
25. According to American inventor Raymond Kurzweil, in 2023, personal computers will reach the computing power of the human brain.
26. The human brain is made up of 100 billion neurons and a trillion glial cells.
27. Half of our genes describe the complex structure of the brain, while the other half describes the organization of the remaining 95% of the body.
28. Scientists believe that diet can cause the brain to "eat" itself.
29. During orgasm, the brain produces so much dopamine that when scanned, the results will be the same as those of a heroin addict.
30. Music affects dopamine production in the same way as sex or delicious food.
31. Taste receptors in humans are found not only in the mouth, but also in the stomach, intestines, pancreas, lungs, anus, testes and brain.
32. 60% of the human brain is fat.
33. Forgetting is good for the brain: removing unnecessary information helps the nervous system to maintain its flexibility.