It is not known where this came from, but the passion for gigantomania has always haunted humanity. As soon as people learned to build something, they immediately decided that the larger the structure, the better it is. Moreover, this was equally inherent in both our ancestors and our contemporaries. Let's remember the ancient pyramids and the current skyscrapers. This passion has not spared technical progress either. People built the Tsar Cannon, Tsar Bell, Tsar Bomba ... Today we will tell you about the Tsar Tank or, as it was also called, Bat.
The idea of creating and developing this monster of world tank building belongs to the Russian engineer Nikolai Lebedenko, who somehow managed to push his project through all bureaucratic obstacles and even received personal approval from Emperor Nicholas II. Six months after the allocation of funds, the tank was built and at the end of August 1915 went for testing.
In fact, Lebedenko's car was not a tank, in the conventional sense of the word, because wheels were used instead of tracks. Otherwise, it was a standard armored combat unit, armed with two guns and Maxim machine guns.
However, apart from its gigantic dimensions, capable of instilling terror in the enemy, the tank could not hit anything else. It turned out that the usual salvo of shrapnel on the spokes of the wheel was guaranteed to disable the car. In addition, its large size and slow movement speed (up to 17 km / h) made it an ideal target for enemy gunners.
However, like most inventions with the "Tsar" prefix, which were never used, the Tsar Tank also did not take part in the hostilities. It was assumed that due to its huge size, the tank would be able to easily overcome off-road and various obstacles. However, during the first and only tests, it turned out that, despite the two huge wheels that easily broke birch trees, the rear roller can easily get bogged down in soft ground, which is what happened. Neither two of its most powerful aircraft engines, nor other attempts, could pull it out.
Based on all this, the project was curtailed, and the tank was abandoned in the forest. It stood there until 1923, after which it was dismantled for scrap.